CSU International Program seeks resident director applicants
The CSU Chancellor’s Office is now accepting applications for two international program resident directors. The resident directors will each serve full-time for 12 months in France and Spain for AY 2020-2021.
Resident directors in the CSU International Programs are a key element in the success of the overseas centers where they are assigned. They contribute significantly to the quality of the educational experience of our students. It is essential that qualified individuals, from any discipline be recommended for appointment to these positions. Former resident directors constitute an important source of support on each of the CSU campuses for promoting student participation in the International Programs and help to further the integration of the International Programs into the mainstream of each campus’ academic program. The appointments of resident directors should be viewed as part of the larger process of enhancing the international dimension of The California State University.
As a faculty member appointed to be a resident director, you will have the advantage of:
- Close advising and mentoring relationships with CSU students in the study centers;
- professional faculty contacts in the host country; and
- administrative experience abroad and at home.
To be eligible, faculty must be:
- Tenured or tenure track faculty in a full-time teaching or administrative position are eligible to apply (FERP faculty are not eligible);
- Appropriate terminal degree for the candidate's discipline;
- Appropriate overseas experience;
- Appropriate foreign language skills
- The extent of prior overseas experience, particularly in higher education;
- Time and recency of experience in the host country;
- Involvement in and active commitment to international education;
- Demonstration of a genuine interest in and concern for students;
- Degree of language ability;
- Personality traits such as initiative, flexibility, resourcefulness, and diplomacy.
- Experience in expending and accounting for state funds.
Additional information about eligibility and selection criteria can be found here.
Prior to completing the application, all candidates should review the Resident Director Handbook.
Download the Resident Director Application 2020-2021 and fill out the application as instructed.
Candidates should email their complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org or send their application by mail to CSU International Programs, 401 Golden Shore Drive, Long Beach, CA 90806 by Dec. 1, 2018. Application screenings take place in January. Personal interviews of the finalists will be conducted at the Chancellor’s Office in Long Beach from March 1-2, 2019. RD appointments are announced in April 2019.
Compensation as Resident Director
The CSU campus pays the resident director’s salary since the faculty member continues to be a campus employee during the year that they are abroad. If the faculty member is currently in a 10-month (academic year) position, they are moved to a 12-month position resulting in an increase of approximately 15% plus 10% for the overseas assignment.
The Office of International Programs reimburses the CSU campus at a set replacement cost rate (Assistant Professor, class code 2361, minimum salary range plus approximately 25%), plus benefits.